Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Whitewater Rafting, Colombian Style

What a day! Woke up, showered and was out of the hostel by nine. I headed to the fresh furit market to have soem nicely pressed juice of some sort. (Trying to be brave and try some mixed variety). I went to this fruit stand yesterday and had some sort of fruit milkshake. He asked " leche y agua" I looked and said "si" and he said "leche", but his assistant said "no, agua". He said "no, leche". I said "si". I got the milk. It was delicious. This morning it was all about the "ensalda de fuitas". for a buck a huge bowl of fresh fruit smothered in condensed milk. (more on the condensed milk later). So good. I am heading back tomorrow!

Today was about rafting though, and our trip left to hit the Rio Suarez river. I had forgotten how much fun rafting can be. I was in a boat with a couple of other Americans, a polish guy, a brit and an aussie. We had a great time. The rapids were class 2-5 although maybe really just 4+, but it was a great time. At some points you could float in the river and the guide was just great. lots of fun.

This is a small company and there were only two boats on the river today. In fact, the river had been "closed" for a few days due to water levels and dangerous conditions. I lucked out. The funny part to me today was that on the way to the river we kept picking people on the side of the road. Now this is not unusual for buses but we were picking up several of the guides and safety kayakers. One even sat on the roof! Needless to say we made it down the rapids with out anyone falling out of the boat and the boat not tipping. It was fun and we ended up with a snack on the side of the river at the end. My only complaint? The ride was too short, but I guess today the river was moving faster than normal.

I have once again fallen in love with piraguas. These are freshly made snow cones, where the person grinds the ice in front of you and adds the flaver of your choice. Then they add a little honey and cover it with condensed milk. If ever asked at home about condensed milk, I am sure I would balk a bit, but it seems when you add it to stuff in Latin America, I cant get enough. So sweet, so good. Today, my favorite piragua lady in San Gil (I have tried a bunch) remembered my flavors without asking. Gotta love the service from a street vendor. And all this goodness for about fifty cents.

No comments: