Monday, March 21, 2011

Lazy Day in Cartagena

Today was a lazy day in the city. I had a nice sleep in, followed by a morning with two new museums. The Naval museum was amazing with its models of the 100´s of forts that were contructed by the Spanish around the area to protect Cartagena from invading countries and pirates. I also checked out a convent museum and yet another church. This church actually had the remains of Pedro Claver. He was a monk who lived in the convent (hmmmm) but was revered among the African slaves that were here. In fact, his remains were built into the alter of the church and you can see his skull. I guess after he was entombed in the walls they decided to pull him out and build him into the Alter.

After a leisurely lunch, I decided to take a little nap and then do a little shopping around town. Basically a day of relaxed energy. For those hoping for some Emeralds from Cartagena and Colombia, not sure that it is going to happen. Too bad I am not a gemologist. That said there are some beautiful things (which could just green glass beer bottles, I wouldn´t know the difference)!

I had a sundowner (or two) on the walls of the old city during sunset. As always, sunset is spectacular when viewed over the ocean. The changing colors always make one happy. I am off to find some dinner. The plan for the next few days may be adapted. I may be off to see some forts tomorrow instead of a volcano. We shall see.

No comments: