Saturday, March 12, 2011

Inside Cafes on a gorgeous day....

Today has been great. Just what I needed. I wanted to have a little break from the pace of Bogota, so I took a bus to Tunja. It is a little town a few hours from Bogota, with an incredibly different feel. It is relaxed and safe, nice people everywhere, enjoying a beautiful sunny pace on Plaza de Bolivar (yes, another one). it was one of those picturesque days that just make you happy. Tunja is set in the countryside and there is gorgeous countryside all around this small city.

I splurged on a hotel for this stay (a whole $15) but I get my own room, my own bathroom and a TV! This is a small very local hotel in a great location and it is just what I wanted. I went and saw several churches and the two hosue museums this afternoon followed by some time on the plaza!

Interesting to note about Colombia: All there cafes only have tables on teh inside. Here we are around a huge central square, or even a small "plazoleta" and there are a bunch of cafes. But unlike most places I have been, the cafes only have tables on the inside. I am used to cafes having tables outside on a street or on a square, but here you must sit inside for your latte, tinto, or cappuchino. Strange. It is a beautiful square on a beautiful day and you are inside. Even weirded to me is that inside of some places they have the tall kerosene heaters to keep you warm.

I am enjoying the cheap empanadas though! I am staying in this area until Monday morning!

No comments: