Thursday, March 17, 2011

Flying High

I felt like I was Harry Potter today. I was flying high above the tree tops, then swooping down until my toes almost touched the ground, then flying back up high. It was a great ride and I really felt as if I was flying. And I was, kind of. Paragliding was certainly a highlight so far, even if it did leave me a little motion sick.

San Gil is famous for having a great spot to paraglide and it didn´t disappoint today. After a long drive up hill, seriously uphill, we got to the edge of teh cliff atop a high "hill" outside of town. I was expecting a saftey breifing, a lesson, a something. What I got was strapped into a harness, attached to some guy, and then lift off. Basically they pulled up the parachute and it lifts you right off the ground. Amazing. My mother wouldn´t want me too close to the edge. I didn´t even need to be. Up and away. I was flying.

My "guide" loved it up in the air and was cheering and yelling, we were doing all sorts of tricks. It was like the best possible roller coaster for 20 minutes. Non-stop twists and turns, almost with my feet in the treetops and then a quick sharp turn and then we were floating back up. It is hard not to love it. It was so quick and so fast. It was amazing. Paragliding is now highly recommended. I guess I really am into adrenaline sports.

We were up over a valley on the edge of the canyon and lots of coffee farms, etc. Great views, a little hazy, but it doesn´t matter when you are flying. At least I got one new picture of me and the guide!

Next stop, Medellin. Overnight buses, gotta love ´em.

No comments: