Tuesday, March 22, 2011

I always liked Zebras...

...I just never really wanted to look like one. Since 1999 (when I was terribly sunburned in South Africa) I have always been a big believer in sunscreen. I am a firm beleiver that you need #15 and that is all a long as you are smart and reapply as needed. I have successfully navigated myself out of any bad burns for several years now and I am happy for that.

Today, I slipped up. I was trying to decide what to do with the day and was walking down to by my boat ticket to Playa Blanca (supposedly the nicest beach in teh Cartagena area). It is a bit remote and doesn´t have running water, etc. I think it will be a perfect escape for my last few days of Spring break. But I digress. I had gone to fnd out info and to perhaps purchase a ticket. I realized how close I was to the BocaGrande beach in Cartagena. This is where all the high rise hotels are, etc. I decided jut to keep walking and scout it out. After all, I had my hat, my book, and my sunscreen.

The beach is covered with these little makeshift cabanas that you rent for the day. There are men who ask you if you want them and you negotiate a price. Never one for sitting under things on the beach, I went instead for the Chaise down by the water. It was one of those windy, warm, cloudy days, you have been warned about. I knew it. I pay my money (about three bucks) settle in and pull out the can of sunscreen. Start to spray to realize that it was nearly empty. Shame. I put on the little bit of lotion that I have and figure, it is not all that sunny, I will be fine, or at least I will feel the burn as it happens.

Throughout the afternoon I never really got to hot; the wind cooled me off quite a bit. I sat there from about 11:00-2:45. I know better. I really do.

As I was leaving I felt the skin on my shoulders tighten up a bit and thought that is weird. The same with my legs. I could tell my fae was a little burned as well. Shame. Basically, of course, the areas that were covered with Sunscreen were fine. tood bad it ran out so I couldn´t apply it evenly. So my lege are striped, up and down. The same with my arms. My shoulders? A deep red/maroon. The worst part though? The worst striping? Oh yeah. My face. I had my baseball cap on backwards so I could read, as well as my sunglasses on. You guessed it. Red, white, red, white, red. Shame. I really am an idiot.

Today is probably the worst burn I have had in years. Thankfully I am not a totally burned, but rather in some isolated areas. I already took a cool shower and will have another tonight. You can imagine how excited I am to spend the next two days on the beach (and carry my pack)! Live and learn, forget and burn.

No comments: