Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Colombia via Avianca

After a long day of traveling I finally made it to Bogota. Buying my ticket last minute is usually my style for these spring break trips, don´t ask why, I am not sure either. It usually works out fine. This time however, it cost me a few extra bucks and I had a long day of travel.

It was sort of a day of surprises. Surprise 1: My flight from BDL which I thought was at 8:45 was at 8:25. Woops. I guess I need to check my tickets more closely. Thankfully there were no lines at security. Surprise 2: Charlotte Airport doesn´t really have good food on Concourse C. No Cinnabon for this guy. Surprise 3: Althougth you can buy your ticket through USA to Bogota, I was flying the third leg with Avianca. This is is a different terminal at Fort Lauderdale. That was fine, but I also had to check in, and although I didn´t have to recheck my bag, it was a bit of a process. Surprise 4: Avianca may be my new favorite airline! Comfortable seats, cup holders, power plugs, personalized TVs, adjustable headrests, FREE FOOD, and overall really nice service!

Arrived early in Bogota, to find out there was a shortage of buses to get us to the terminal. We sat on the plane for over an hour waiting for the airport to find some buses for us. Shame. Once in things were easy, immigration was quick, my bag was waiting for me and I cleared customs with no problem. Surprise 5: The security guard who approached me gave me a pat down that would make most blush (one that made me think of that guy with the TSA "If you touch my junk")all the while asking me if I was carrying over ten grand with me. Ummm No.

Got my taxi and checked into the Cranky Croc Hostel. So far so good. Six bed dorm with a big bed, lockers for your stuff and plugs. Surprise 6: the power and plugs here are the same as in the USA. Damn, I wish I brought my computer. I think I will settle in tonight, grab a beer, and get a good nights sleep so I can really get a good glimpse of the third highest capitol in the world.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Viva Columbia! Looking forward to a pic or two of food :)

TA said...

So far so good! Why do hostels always have names like the Cranky Croc?