Sunday, March 20, 2011

The three H´s of Cartagena

After a seemingly endless, and somewhat unremarkable bus trip (was about 14 hours all told), I finally arrived in Cartagena at the coast. While the buses may be freezing when you are sitting stationary for 14 hours, the city is certainly not!

Cartagena is set on the Carribean and you can certainly feel it in the air and atmosphere. Where Bogota was stiff and staid (and cold), Cartagena is let loose kind of place. You can sense the Island and Carribean in everything from the music to the people. Maybe it is becuase it is a vacation destination, but it is relaxed, feels safe, and I plan to thoroughly enjoy it here. One thing though? It is Hot and Humid and looks like the week will be Hazy. I am glad the that hostel has some AC to keep me sleeping well.

I spent the day on a low key walking tour of the city. It was nice. I saw the Inquisiton and Cultural Museum as well as the small but nice gold museum. I wandered down to the water and basically had a low key day. (Part of that maybe that my irongut seemed to develop a crack in the last 24 hours, shame). So I spent the day nursing myself back to fitness with a low key day (and some water, and I am about to try some food).

Colombia has been remarkably free of post cards. I was happy to find a few shops that are selling them today, so I will be buying and mailing those soon. It also seems that there are quite a few venders and hawkers lining the streets at night, so I may do a little browsing of that stuff too.

Call me a chicken or a wimp, but I purchased a plane ticket for Cartagena back to Bogota. The bus trip was a mere 18 hours (certainly I have managed that before on much lesser of buses) but for a $25 difference, I figured that was money well spent. I fly to Bogota on Friday midday and then fly home on Saturday. So it looks like another day in town tomorrow, Tuesday heading to a volcano, and then Wednesday and Thursday on a remote beach! We will see how the plan develops.

No comments: