Thursday, March 24, 2011

Playa Blanca is Playa Relaxing

I just returned from a wonderful respite on Playa Blanca. This is the kind of place that just exudes relaxation. Basically because there is nothing else to do and it is too hot to want to do much else!

You have to take a boat here and you need to be a bit hardy. Certainly not a place for someone who wants to be pampered, but a place where you go to get away from it all. I took a little boat and arrived in the morning. I was told, get off the boat and go left and you will find a place to stay. So I did. I went left down the beach and you find all these places with tents and hammocks. That is it. I rented a hammock with a couple of British guys I met who were on a gap year. The check in proces? Well it was choosing my hammock. Room service? just yell to Margarita what you want (en espaniol of course). Basically it was really a few hammocks strung across the beach under a thatch roof. You are surrounded by the waves crashing on the beach. Somewhat Idyllic. Now if you want a nice bathroom and a shower and AC, don´t go to Playa Blanca. but if you want to sit and enjoy the sun, sand, and water, it is perfect.

Margarita cooks too. and brings water, sodas, or beer if you need it. She was like the queen of the beach barking orders and getting results. The sun goes down, an you sit by candle light until the candles go out. Then you look at the stars for a while, then you sleep. It was great. The bathroom was a step up from a portapotty or an outhouse, a non-flushing sort of basin. Margarita kept the area very light an clear, but get yourself sorted out before 8:00 when she goes to bed, because after that, the bano is cerrada (closed). Sadly the kitchen was in the same area (and the flies seemed to be enjoying meals in both places) When we asked where to go, she pointed to the sand next to us, next to the hammocks, and next to the tables. Brought to mind that old saying "don´t shit where you sleep/eat".

The night was great and I slept really well under my mosuito net. With the wind strong the waves crashed hard and it was great to sleep to that. Sadly though, the wind off the sea kept everything a bit damp so when the sun came up it was great to finally "dry out". Margarita had some coffee for us in the morning. So nice that I read two books while I was there! It was really lovely. Really great. A few beach hawkers, but overall, really really nice. A great way to spend some of the last few days of my trip. Still a bit burned...hopefully healing soon!

I am back in Cartagena for the night, Fly to Bogota tomorrow and then Fly home on Saturday!

No comments: