Friday, March 25, 2011

TSA Needs Lessons from the Colombian Police Force

An outside concert in Bolivar Square was just the right way to end my trip to Colombia. I returned to Bogota to catch my flight tomorrow and had about half a day to wander around the city. I repacked my bag and then was off checking out the Candelaria neighborhood again. I had a coffee at Juan Valdez coffee shop and then just enjoyed being back in the capitol city.

After dinner, I wandered down to the main square and was able to attend this free concert outside. It was a bit of a weird style music, but they had the full staging set up with a jumbotron, and activities on the side. Sort of a mini music festival. Very fun. As with everything in Colombia, there was certainly a strong police presence. The Square was sectioned off and to get in you had to go through a thorough search. They checked through bags, looking through and rifling through all your stuff. Then they gave a good pat down (checking for weapons). If anyone thought the airport security was intense, hasn´t had a pat down by the Colombian Police force. These guys were not messing around. Checked every pocket, the hems, the lining of my fleece. They were there to keep the peace and were certainly going to do their part! It does give you a sense of secrity though. I guess that is what happens when you are reclaiming your country from drug lords.

I decided to head back to the hostel when the crowd was getting feisty. I bunch of drunk young Colombians, through bottles, etc. It was time for me to head back home. Regardless, it was a great way to end the trip.

Early flight tomorrow with a LONG layover in Miami. Maybe I will get searched again!

No comments: