Saturday, August 08, 2009

Wedding Fever

It seems this weekend is a popular one to get married! Yesterday, Friday, I was wandering around the old town of Vilnius. As previously mentioned, there were a lot of churches. I saw three weddings. I figured that it was strange it was a Friday, but I chalked it up to cultural differences. It made sense, there were so many churches. I thought it was nice, too, that the churches were not closed for the weddings, anyone could attend/watch!

Today, I headed out of Vilnius for a day trip to Trakai. This small town that is dominated by two castles, one on an island and the other on the peninsula. It has been restored and it was striking and very beautiful. I did a nice long walk from the train station to the castle, around the town a bit, then I toured the castle. What I couldn't believe was the number of weddings! I saw NINE weddings. Not actually happening, but all were there to take pictures. The entire wedding party, posing in front of the castle and moat, with hundreds of tourists looking on! August 8 must have good omens or something. It was pretty interesting to watch it all happening.

Tomorrow I have a big day planned. First, train to Siaulai, store the pack, rent a bike and ride 12 km to The Hill of Crosses, ride back, take either a bus or train to Klaipeda and then hit the beach!

No comments: