Thursday, August 06, 2009

Nothing Went Right, All Was Great

My trip got off to a fateful start. I was hoping that it wasn't a bad omen for the Baltics! I was late getting to the bus station. No real worries, because knowing myself I built in some extra time. I went to purchase my ticket (that I had checked and double checked online) to find out that the bus to Logan wasn't direct, left a bit later, had a 40 minute layover and change at South Station! Fine, I was still to have plenty of time. I decide to have McDonald's for lunch, but the line wasn't moving. I finally got a coffee and jumped on the bus. I arrive in Boston only to find that the bus to Logan wasn't listed on the monitors and the Help Desk seemed to be on a break. To avoid my own stress (at having to rush) I decided to take the new Silver T-line to the airport. I was excited because I didn't even know it existed! I guess it was part of the Big Dig. Anyway the Silver line is a bus line that is both electric and gas. Pretty cool and really easy from South Station. Definitely the right move. I got the airport with plenty of time for a quick chair massage to start the trip off right!

Finnair. Wow. I was thinking this might be like Thai Air, or British Air. It was sadly, more like US Air. We boarded late, I guess there were problems with the plane, we ended up leaving about 90 minutes late. I had a hard time sleeping but I did get to see a baseball movie, High School Musical, and Baby Mama. Needless to say, we didn't get to choose our movies! We arrived in Helsinki and I had missed my connection. I, of course, had issues at security. (No worries, I held my tongue.)I got a pat down and feel up, and they took my soda. Shame. Finnair redeemed itself and gave me a 17 Euro voucher for food at the airport and a whole day in Helsinki. Bonus! I had planned a couple of days here in Vilnius but frankly was pretty psyched to be able to spend the day in Helsinki. I even took a ferry out to a massive armed fortress in the harbor.

Back to the airport, back on the plane. I landed in Vilnius, Lithuania, with no problems and my bags. I finally found the money change place, although I got impatient so I went to the ATM. I waited too long for the money changer so I missed the train to the city. I ended up taking the bus, but of course didn't have any money small enough to pay the fare. After trying to pay with big Lithuanian Litus, then with Euros, then with Dollars, the driver finally was too exasperated to try to talk to me anymore! I got the trip for free. Living up to the stereotype of a dumb American tourist.

The hostel is fine, although I couldn't get my laptop to connect to the internet. I will continue to work on that. All in all, a pretty typical travel day with a bunch of ups and downs, but honestly, everything was pretty smooth and I got a bonus trip to Helsinki, Finland! Gotta love it.

No comments: