Wednesday, August 19, 2009

KUMU-Art Museum of Estonia

Tallinn's newest art museum. Unbelievable. Big spacious galleries, amazing architecture nestled in a quiet park. This afternoon couldn't have been more perfect for me. I spent a couple of hours of roaming through this amazing museum. There were two exhibits that were remarkable: 1. A room full of busts. Full of them. Up the walls, and about 50 others on glass pedestals in the center of the room. Striking, different, memorable. 2. A temporary exhibit of hundreds of speakers, all on re-bar legs, playing white music in a wave like pattern. the mess of speakers, stands, and wires, coupled with the wave sounds was pretty amazing.

The other part of this art museum is housed in an old chruch in the old town. Old churches serving as museums is one of the coolest things I think I have seen. I have seen two of them, and each time I am impressed and awed. The feature of this particular place was a "Dancing with Death" painting that came with subtitles! Basically it was death telling the Pope, Emperor, King, Bishop, and Empress about what will happen when the follow death. Pretty cool stuff. Always makes you worry about your karma.

See below for how I spent the morning.

No comments: