Monday, August 17, 2009

Commitment is Sometimes Good!

Although I checked the weather last night (the forecast was for rain all day), I planned to rent a bike today and see a bit of the island. When I woke up, there was some evidence of rain, it was overcast and breezy, but no actual rain. Buoyed by my recent success (or survival) in the Gauja National Park, I decided to stick with the plan. I got excited. I got organized. I packed my bag with my three traveling companions (Lonely Planet guidebook, journal, and book), along with some water, a hat, sunglasses, and my trusty LL Bean shell. Off I went!

First stop, (really committing) I paid for another night at the hostel. Stop 2: buy my bus ticket for tomorrow. Stop 3: Rent the bike...problem, I couldn't find the bike shop. Stop 4: Consult the map and decide it has to be around here somewhere. Stop 5: Bike shop!

I hop on my metal stalwart steed and we are off and riding for about say 3 minutes, when it starts to downpour. Shame. I dash back under the safety of an overhang and wait out the shower. It is too late to change plans, I am committed. I put on the jacket and head out on to the road. It is still raining a bit but better. I have a 15 mile ride to the Kaali Meteorite craters along the main thoroughfare on the island. I am keeping my spirits up and the rain spits a little but it is mostly dry. The crater was created by a meteor hitting the earth between 2500 and 7500 years ago. According to the museum the date is in dispute...I guess so! Have you ever seen a meteorite crater? It is basically a hole in the ground with some water. Sort of like a round pond. I waited out the next shower with a cappuchino and then I headed off to my second destination: Good Kaarma.

I figured I can always use some good karma and I would check this place out. This was probably about a 10 mile ride from the crater. This is a farm in the Kaarma region of the island that has turned into a handmade organic soap factory. Not really a factory, but a small place that makes soap by hand. It was very nice, as soon as I rode up I could smell the different scents that they use in soaps. With in a few minutes my olfactory senses were a bit overloaded. She showed my briefly about the process and then sold me some nice handmade soap. Since I was the only patron there, I declined the offer of coffee and jump back on my bike to head back to town. The ride back was good, (another 12 miles or so) and was all against the wind. I got a decent workout and once again learned to appreciate my bike back in Suffield. Well deciding to go to Good Kaarma and buying some soaps seemed to work, it didn't rain again all day. Eventually even the sun was peeking through the clouds.

I guess today I learned that if you stay committed, even if it doesn't look good you can have some happy results. Hows that for my philosophical moment of the day?

Tomorrow early bus to Tallinn, the final stop on my Baltic adventure.

No comments: