Friday, August 07, 2009

A City of Churches

I grew up Catholic. In fact, I went to church every weekend growing up. I went to a catholic high school. I went to church all through college and even after for about eight years. I am no stranger to the inside of a church. I can appreciate the beauty of the columns and spires of a gothic cathedral, or the over the topic decoration of a baroque church or even the simple beauty of a classical building.

Vilnius is over run with Churches. This city is famous for its architecture. It has a variety of styles all throughout the city. In fact, many of the buildings were destroyed and rebuilt a number of times. I guess that happens when the city is at least 700 years old. Most of the sites here in Vilnius are churches. Literally, it felt like on every corner there was a church and the guide books are full of descriptions of the churches. I started my day (a bit late) at the Cathedral. While impressive for the scale and the square, I was more impressed with many of the smaller churches along the way. St Ann's gothic brick church. St Bernadines, originally gothic, then destroyed, now baroque church. St John's which is hidden inside the University. The Orthodox cathedral, St Michael's, St Casimir's etc. there were a lot of chruches to be seen. And I saw them. (Not all, but many). My question is though, how many prayers can one guy say in a day?

Tomorrow is a day trip to Trakai...

No comments: