Monday, August 10, 2009

Soaking up the Sun on the Spit

I made my way to Klaipeda so that I would be able to see the Baltic from all three countries. Plus, I heard that the beaches on the Curonian Spit were supposed to be amazing. This morning, I got off to a good start and was up and ready to head out of the hostel early. I have to say that I am glad that I spent all those years sleeping on an old and flat futon mattress, it left me in good stead to deal with what I had last night! (The benches at the beach were more comfortable!)

Planning to take in some of the sites in Klaipeda as I wandered down to the ferry to the Spit, I was realized it was Monday. Monday means that museums are closed. There isn't too much to do here, and I had wanted to go to a clock museum in the town. Then I was planning to hit the Klaipeda Castle Museum. Shame. So I stopped for a nice breakfast and coffee, did a little shopping with the amber hawkers, and then took the ferry across to this little strip of land, The Curonian Spit. It is mostly a national park throughout the whole piece of land with a couple of small towns. It has been saved from being completely washed out to sea by the reforestation of pine trees covering a major portion of the place (during the 1700s). You walk through pine forests and you find your self on a long wide white sand beach. Preserving the Spit is an important environmental project in this part of Lithuania. The water has a smaller percentage of salt in it then in most of the world; you don't feel that sticky beach feeling when you get out of the water. It was actually quite nice. I stayed out there until about 8:00pm. Remember it doesn't get dark until 10:00!

Interesting about this this beach is that there are special and specific places for people. There is the mixed beach (for men, women, and families), the men's beach, the nudist's beach (again, for men, women, and families), and the women's beach. They cover about 2 km of beach in that order. I am sure that there are some repeat designations after that. Also interesting to note, that for the single gender beaches, most people were also sun bathing in their birthday suits. No one seemed to mind that there was a bit of cross-over from one beach to the next, and that the cross-overs were naked. No one seemed to mind walking their little kids through the other beaches. I was particularly surprised at the number of families enjoying their day in the sun at the nudist beach. Whole families playing in the buff! I spent a bit of time on each of the three beaches I was allowed; I respectfully let the women have their own beach). Each had its own vibe and was unique for sharing the same sand. I came away a bit more brown then when I left and enjoyed the day in the sun!

Tomorrow, I am heading to Latvia. Still not sure which route I am taking...game time decision in the morning!

No comments: