Saturday, August 15, 2009

Estonia-Lots of kroons

After what turned out to be a big night on the town in Riga (I suddenly looked at my watch and it was 4:00 am), The day was good. A two hour bus ride and I successfully made it across another border and into my fourth country (after the day in Helsinki) of this trip. I settled into the hostel fine as well. Apparently my new roommates had a big night as well as they were still sleeping at noon when I arrived!

The plan today was to be on the beach. Parnu is all about being a beach/resort destination. I figured after a day of rain, nothing like a day on the beach, unless it rains. The bus ride here was hot. The sun was beating into the windows of the bus. On the walk to the hostel, I could feel the sweat. I was happy. As I make it to the beach, I see the dark clouds lingering over head. They seem far off and I am not so worried about it. I walk along the beach it is nice. They have the changing spaces, the games, the lifeguards. They have everything that makes a nice beach experience. They even have a bit of thunder! the rain came briefly with the front that was moving through. It was breezy and cool, although only rained for a few minutes. After that, the sun came out for the afternoon. With the sun out, so came the Estonians! It turned out to be a great day on the beach. Tomorrow, I am going to spend the morning here in Parnu and then travel to Kurresaare.

This morning when I arrived, I exchanged money. I don't often exchange money anymore, I usually just use the ATM. I turned in 61 Latvian Lats and 10 Lithuanian Litas and in return I got 1300 Kroons! Everything is expensive in kroons, or it feels like it because the numbers are so big. A beer is 40 Kroons. Dinner was 145 Kroons. They have a 2 Kroon bill up through the 500 Kroon bill. Thankfully, not as many coins as in the last two countries! At least the exchange rate is easy to keep track of at 11 kroons to a dollar. I am just taking off a zero to keep it all straight!

No comments: