Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Soviets and Latvians

Today it rained. I was a little sad. I had bought a ticket to go to the top of one of the church spires to see views of the city. I picked the moment that the rain and wind decided to lash out! It was wet and cold, though the promised views were there! I spent quite a bit of time at the Museum of the Occupation. it reaffirmed my post from yesterday. It is pretty intense to have your country occupied. More intense that they make up the rules. And worse that the rest of the world knows it is happening to you. I once again was a bit confused about how I felt about supporting countries whose sovereignty has been challenged by another. it is an awkward position for all involved. More distressing was that I am continuing to learn about how dominating and intimidating the USSR was. Wow. Stalin and others weren't really nice guys at all. The hardest part: You are a happy Latvian who is forced to participate in the Nazi army during the war, then the USSR says you were a Nazi sympathizer and sends you to Siberia. You might just have been trying to survive. It is intense!

The rest of the day was just exploring the city. I found out one of the traditional Latvian dishes is dumpling. Who cares what is in them, I love dumplings. They made my day. Overall...great day in the city.

No comments: