Sunday, August 16, 2009

Calming Kuressaare

Sometimes plans work well. I had originally thought that I would get up early and check the bus departures and head to the beach for the morning and leave on an afternoon bus to Kuressaare on the island of Sarremaa. But when I woke up and saw the rain and clouds I decided that I would take the 10:30 bus and rolled over for another 90 minutes or so. It was such the right decision!

To get here, you need to take a bus, but the bus goes on a ferry. I don´t know if I have been on a ferry that takes cars in a long time. This one was cool. On one side the cars drive in, when the level is full it is on a big (huge) elevator, and it lifts them all up to reveal another similar deck just below! perfect. The bus drives on right to the front. At this point we must get off the bus to go into the ferry. I have a nice little pizza for lunch, a coke, and then it is time to get back on the bus to head into the town.

The hostel is actually a college dorm, so I have a double room to myself, which to be honest is sort of a pleasant surprise for $15/night. I will take it. The town is very small and is known for two things. The 800 year old castle/fortress and spas. I took in the castle today, avoided the rain by carefully timed cappuchinos, and enjoyed wandering around this small place. Even had a coffee in a windmill! Very nice. The plan for tomorrow is to rent a bike and explore the rest of the island. Hopefully the weather will hold out for me so that I can see a good bit of it. It is a very chill kind of place, just perfect for a break in the action. Or perhaps it is becuase of all the Spas. I guess if it rains too much tomorrow, I just might need to get a massage!

No comments: