Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Taking Off...to Managua

As always, I tend to be a bit last minute. Maybe it is a commitment thing...shame. Anyway, I decided about a week ago to come back to Central America to see a bit more of the famed isthmus. But getting here was a bit more hectic then I had anticipated.

I didn't plan anything. I had a loose idea of my itinerary. While this is really my preferred method of travel, I was feeling a bit out of sorts about this, as I hadn't really done much research at all until last night!

I, of course, pack at the last minute. You would think by now I know what I need to bring with me when I am traveling. I actually did ok. with one major exception. I have become so used to my cell phone, I didn't bring a watch or clock. Now since I don't stay in the fanciest of places, I needed to have something that would tell me the time and wake me up in the mornings! Yay! Duty Free! Since I had an long layover in Miami I figured I would buy one there. I needed a new running watch anyone. Crisis averted (for $62).

Flight delays. The flight was late getting in to Miami, but we boarded. Then we were told that there was a leak with the hydraulic fluid for the landing gear and it was going to need to be repaired. So we waited. And waited. I decided to start texting an calling people! It was a good way to catch up!

Arrival in Managua was amazingly smooth. This is probably the most relxed Central American capital I have been to. Certianly not as hectic as Guatemala City and it feels safer the San Jose (although everyone reminds you to be safe).

I wandered around town at sunset tonight, which was nice. I found my way up to the statue of Sandino on the top of the volcano. It gives pretty amazing views of the City and mountains. It is amamzing, I never thought of Managua as beautiful. But it is. Mountains and water always make a place look great!

Tomorrow is a bit more site seeing and then perhaps off to Grenada!

No comments: