Saturday, March 21, 2009

La Constena Airline

Today I travelled back to Managua to the airport to catch my flight out to the Corn Islands. All seemed to be going well. I got the taxi to the bus to the taxi and I was settled at the airport a bit before 12:00. They had told me that I needed to get to the airport by 12:30 to purchase my ticket and whatnot. I was pretty happy about everything. When i arrive I am shuttled around and finally found the right line. I happily waited until she was ready (no hand in the face today). I move up and say, "I have a reservation #29." She replies, "do you have a ticket", "No but I have a reservation and they said that I can purchase a ticket when I arrive." "No, you must wait until 1:30 to see if there is room." At this point I thought I really am in the Seinfeld episode about reservations. You know the one, Gerry says "you know how to take the reservation, but you don't know how to keep the reservation and that is the most important part."

Basically, this airline is a bit like a bus. You by a ticket that is good for whenever, and then you make a reservation and turn up and jump on, no seat assignments. Well it all worked out and I got on the plane, after waiting an additional 90 minutes! Anyway, the plane. Let me tell you about it. It was of course a small (36) seat prop type plane that looked like it could have been in the Howard Hughes movie, something right out of the 50s almost. It was square, not really round. There was no underneath for the luggage. A lot of the baggage went in the nose! You entered from the rear and then found a seat. Loud, although efficient, we made it safely to Big Corn Island.

On another note, I had trouble with the security. They thought I had a knife. They serached my bag, and ran it through a couple of times, and still thought I had a knife. Nope. But you are allowed to take on liquids and I didn't have to take off my shoes!

I had decided to stay on Big Corn for the couple of days that I was here. As soon as I saw it though I knew I would need to head to Little Corn. he two kilometer-long island has a few hotels and restaurants and a dive shop and that is about it. I was really excited to stay on the western side in a hut on the beach. Sadly, they were full for tonight, but I will be checking it out again tomorrow and finding my little bit of Island paradise. As it is, I am in The Village, and the hotel is nice. I of course hadn't made reservations and that was the problem! I am hoping to sit on the beach, read, do a little diving, sit on the beach, etc. I am taking a vacation from my trip! How am I so lucky to be here!

No comments: