Thursday, March 19, 2009

Four Buses and a Ferry

Today was a travel day. Meaning I didn´t see to much becuase I was trying to get from one place to another. I have to say, that my plan for the day worked perfectly, although it took seemingly forever!

A day by the minutes:

6:30 Wake up and shower

7:00 Check out of the hotel

7:15 Catch first bus from Ometepe to MOyogalpa (remember of course the buses are old school buses that stop and pick people up and drop them off all the way between towns)

8:30 Arrive at the ferry terminal.

8:31 Hand in the face from the ticket seller, she wasn´t ready yet.

8:42 bought ticket!! Get on ferry.

10:15 Arrive in San Jorge and jump a taxi to Rivas

10:35 Arrive in Rivas at the bus station.

10:36 directed to the right bus (again the school bus thing) and loaded bag on top.

11:00ish bus departs for Grenada.

12:40 Arrive in Grenada.

12:45 Find public phone to try to book plane tickets. They are at lunch.

12:50 Head to the Central Park for another Vigaron. (I told you I liked them).

1:20 Finish my lunch and find a phone.

1:27 Reservations made, head back to the bus station

1:29 Bus is driving by, (Managua, Managua, Managua is being yelled by the ¨helper¨) I flag it down jump on.

2:30ish Arrive in Managua find bus to Leon.

2:48 Bus drivers and helpers are angered that I got ripped off by the ice cream salesmen. They are very frustrated and talk about it (and to me) for about five minutes.

3:00ish Bus leaves for Leon.

4:30 Arrive in Leon find a cab to Hostel.

5:00 Relax and drink some water.

5:15 Explore city a bit, find some great street food, drink a coke and a pepsi.

5:45 Realize that my legs are tightening up from the volcano hike and sitting all day.


All in all it was a good, successful day and I continue to do better with my Spanish and talking to people. It was nice. Just a lot of transferring and sitting, moving and waiting.

The plan is to explore Leon tomorrow and stay over night. Saturday, I will travel back to Managua where I will fly to the Corn Islands for a few days and do some diving perhaps. They I will fly back to Managua and spend a night and then head to San Salvador.

A side note of interest (perhaps): Today was the first day that I have come close to spending my slef imposed $50 a day limit. I am still under it and I have paid for the previous two nights hotel and dinner, all the transportation (not the flights to the Corn Islands), and tonights hotel. Sadly, my towel was stolen, so I had to buy another one. Even with that, I haven´t spent fifty bucks yet. It is great when hotels with single rooms and private bathrooms are only $6 a night. Amazing.

No comments: