Thursday, March 26, 2009

Safe San Salvador?

After a relatviely painless (although long) 11 hour bus ride, I arrived in El Salvador. After sitting on a bus for so long, it is good to get out and walk, so I found myself walking a bit with my bags and then decided to take a taxi to my hostel. I picked this place for a bunch of reasons. First, it was cheap, second, it seemed like one of the better locations int eh city, becuase so much of what you read says that different neighborhoods are unsafe! The place is fine, not great, but it will do. I looked at a bunch of other places and decided to stay where I am. Afterall, I have certainly stayed in worse, and their didn´t seemt to be too much better for the cost!

I did a fair amount of reading and researching on El Salvador before I arrived. Everything mentions that it is safe, although take precautions. That of course makes a lot of sense. It seems that the people here have also taken precautions. Every thing is surrounded by gates, burgler bars, and fences. Many of the fences are topped with razor wire. Most businesses have armed security guards at entrances. This includes some restaurants, bars and gas stations. Yes, San Salvador is safe, and its people take precautions. The websites weren´t lying!

I went for a long walk yesterday to get my bearings. While this is a big city, you can manage to walk it without too much trouble (but not after dark of course) and today I am off to the city center and a park. I already explored the modern art museum, and will be checking out a couple of others today and tomorrow.

No comments: