Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Little Corn Island

It is hard to explain how much I have enjoyed my time on Little Corn Island. It is the perfect getaway from everything. You feel a million miles away from any trouble, any worries, any stress. Over the past couple of days I have taken three dives. They were great, in fact, they were my first cave/tunnel dives and it was so chill and relaxed that you forget to be claustrophobic.

Basically the island has no cars (only wheelbarrows), no roads (on paths). It is not as cheap as the mainland, but considering where you are, how hard it is to get things here, it really isn't too bad. I had originally wanted to stay on the far side of the island. It is truly amamzing. Completely untouched beaches. Sure there may be a hammock or something, but no resorts, no big hotels, no massive amounts of people. You have to remember, that water is scarce, the electricity in the town comes on from about 3:00pm to 5:00am. Other then that there is no power, except for a few places with generators. You are really out there, and it is totally worth it. This will certainly be a highlight of this trip for me. I have met a bunch of people, all fun, all nice, all enjoying this out of the way place. It is so interesting because I can see why some people would feel that this is too far away without enough conveniences, but for me, it was perfect. Almost paradise!

No comments: