Sunday, March 15, 2009

Yucca snacks

After a good sleep and a good breakfast, I was helped to the bus station by Francisco and his mother and I was off. All the way to the station, Francisco's mother was giving travel warnings, watch your passport, put your wallet in the front, don't talk to strangers, beware of people selling drugs etc. It was very nice. This family was so nice to me over the course of a few days. I truly appreciate their generosity.

On to Grenada. I think I made a poor choice in terms of hostels tonight, we shall see. It was fine, but it will be hot tonight, but at six bucks, you can't really complain. After checking in and getting settled, I set out to explore the town on foot. I walked from one end to the other. What a great little town. There are plenty o Gringos and this place is certainly sued to the tourist trade, although it is very quaint and very nice. The main sights are of course churches. Some have been redone, some have not, some are in the process. It was a good day, and pretty uneventful.

I still love street food. I think I have written about it before, but I really do like it. I hope my stomach holds out. Today was this tortilla filled with stuff, some dried banana thing, the scraped ice snow cone, and a vigaron. The vigaron was my favorite. I didn't know what it was. It just looked good. And it was good. It is a pile of yucca, topped with a tangy cabbage salad and a big dried pork rind served on a banana leaf. It is hard to explain really, but think of mashed potatoes on a banana leaf with a spicy cabbage on top! Yum. And it was under $2. What a deal. I think I will have it for lunch tomorrow too.

No comments: