Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Back in Managua

I made it safely back in Managua (another two post day)! Although La Costena airlines again proved to be a bit of an adventure! I was waiting for the panga (the shuttle boat to go between the Corn Islands) and a woman said that they would take me (and a couple of other travelers) to Big Corn for the same price in the same amount of time. Since the "official" panga wasn't any where in sight we decided to go for it. We get across the water and she then says, that she can't take us to the harbor (they aren't licensed for passengers) but drops us off on the side of the road! (She charged a little less for our "inconvenience"). Regardless, we got a taxi and got to the airport. As we are waiting to check in at La Costena, the guy in front of me pulls out a gun from his waist band, takes out the clip and checks it as baggage. They tape the gun and the clip together, along with a baggage claim tag, give him the stub, and I guess the gun is checked! Wow. i check my bag, and I can't remember in the last post about the airline, but not only do they weigh the bags, they make you jump on the scale and get weighed (with your carry ons) as well. Funny for me, humiliating I guess for many of the women!

It has been a great time here in Nicaragua and I am a bit sad to leave. I was able to do pretty much everything I wanted. I skipped San Juan del Sur (a very popular beach destination) for the Corn Islands and I am pretty sure I made the right choice. Interesting things aout Nicaragua: many of the roads aren't paved, some of the roads are paved with paving stones, people here work hard for their money, and their are a lot of very poor people, (like in many other poor countries) people sell everything in the street. Water is sold in little bags that you bite a corner off of and drink. Taxi drivers are desperate for your fare. All in all the people are super friendly, super nice, and very helpful. I really have enjoyed the time. Tomorrow, I take the bus to San Salvador. The bus leaves at 5:00am and I need to be there at 4:00am. I am staying steps away from the bus station so that is lucky, although the neighborhood isn't the nicest. (Why are bus stations always in sketchy neighborhoods?) The best thing is that I am staying in the exact room that I started this journey in! I haven't been able to do much souveneir type shopping, but there is nothing new or different that I have seen.

Anyway, great time here in Nicaragua! I hope El Salvador is as nice!

No comments: