Saturday, March 15, 2008

Buses

I don´t think that it is a surprise to anyone that I am not a big fan of buses. Neither the long distance kind, nor the short around town kind. For different reasons of course. The long distance kind, well I have had some difficult expereinces on them (Memphis to NoLA, Morocco, etc.) So I am always a bit wary of them. Yes, I know, by and large they are fine, I take them, but I don´t have to like them.

City buses have always caused me concern. I guess the thing is that I never really know where they are going to go. People say that they have routes, but do they always stay on them, and where can I find a copy of these so-called routes? Plus then you have to pay the driver, or the meter, or the box...you have to have the right change...it all seems like a lot. On the other hand, a subway or metro system is right up my alley. Again, I take them, but I don´t have to like them.

Anyway, in Acapulco, you need to take the bus to get around town. I have done a fair share of walking, but it is a distance and taxis are expensive. The buses in Acapulco are not like those in Guatemala or Panama, the brightly painted old school buses. These are just differnt styled city buses...well used...but functional. What makes them unique is that each one is different. The all have a different motif on the outside, but also on the inside. Yesterday the bus was done with the paint spattering method, along the walls and roof. Today´s was an aquarium scene (where you feel you are in an aquarium). There are others that have different styles of music playing. It is actually kind of cool. I am not sure that they are very tightly regulated though. A lot of people get on with out paying or showing a pass or anything. Not sure how that works. In addition, yesterday the driver pulled some money out of the fare box and bought himself a cigarette...I guess every job needs to have its perks!

One last thing about the buses in Acapulco..they cost more then twice as much as the Mexico City metro!

No comments: