Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Lago de Atitlan

What an amazing place this is! I spent the day touring the lake and several small towns around it. From Panajachel, I went to San Pedro, Santiago, and San Antonio for the day, taking several boats. It was the perfect day to spend on the lake, sunny, warm, with little wind. Things were good. Each town is a little different, each town has something special. What is amazing is that these are all towns built on of the slopes of two volcanoes with amazing views of scenery. No matter where you look you see something beautiful. From the fresh squeezed orange juice stands, to the Mayan women dressed in the traditional textiles, it was pretty cool.

Women spend hours making many brightly colored textiles...they are actually sitting at wooden looms or on their knees with a make-shift loom and weaving these brightly colored fabrics all day. They are embroidering them by hand, and they doing their best to sell them at a fair price. Of course you are supposed to bargain but it is hard when the prices are already at rock bottom. I haven't really bought anything yet.

Pana and San Pedro have a reputation for being hippie hangouts, and I have to say the reputation is well deserved. I hve been offered smoke, weed, pot, ganja, mary jane, and just plain marijuna since I have been here. In the streets, at the beach, pretty much everywhere people are trying to sell you some "good stuff". I guess if I were a stoner I would be psyched. I think I will stick to the orange juice stands.

Tomorrow I am heading to Antigua, it is supposed to be one of the most beautiful cities in Guatemala. It will have to work hard to beat Pana.

No comments: