Friday, March 23, 2007

Antigua in the Clouds

Yesterday was a different kind of day. I decided to walk to two of the neighboring towns around Antigua. I could have taken a bus, or a taxi, or a shuttle, but decided that a bit of excercise would do me good. I had planned to be on a volcano hike, so a suburb hike seemed appropriate. The walk was good, and actually fairly uneventful. It was nice to get out of "the big city" of Antigua and into some smaller places. Basically each town had a square (complete with both food and tourist type market), dominated by a church (in some disrepair) and then a bunch of little cafes and restaurants. I had some coffee, continued to read about Guatemala, and enjoyed the day.

It has been pretty cloudy in Antigua these past few days. While this is really good for the sunburn on my knees (from the boat ride in Pana), I haven't been able to see the volcanoes around the city very clearly. I was almost going to go on a short hike today, but it appears it would be into the clouds, I think I will pass.

I am planning on spending the rest of the day in Antigua, doing a little shopping, a little reading, and a lot of people watching.

I need to organize transportation to the airport for tomorrow. I should be landing around midnight!

No comments: