Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Guatemala City Protests Bush


It has been a pretty hectic day in Guatemala City. I arrived yesterday and the flight was easy. I got my bag right way, no worries. I headed off to the ATM to get myself some Quetzales so I could take a cab to the hotel. Shame. It wasn't taking my card. Ok, I figured I knew there must be mor then one ATM at the airport, and if not I had brought some cash to exchange as well. I continue through the airport (of course there is significant construction, hidden by the walls with signs saying "We are creating the most modern airport in Central America for your convenience"). There is not really an Arrivals Hall, as you move out through customs into some temporary structures. I keep walking (of course missing the one currency exchange desk), see the crowds of people and then find, that I have left the secure aprt of the airport to be outside on the street. Fine. I check with some cops to find out if there is an ATM or a cambio to change my money. They send me on a bit of a wild goose chase and I find myself back having walked half a mile at the exit of the airport where I started. I stand for a moment considering my options when another traveller, speaking in french, is trying to figure out how to change his money. I listen. No one is that helpful, so I walk back into the airport the wrong way. The most wonderful thing about not understanding a language is not really knowing what they are saying to you! People yelled, and I kept walking. I found what I needed and exchanged my cash.

I was able to hop in a cab right away. It is an old Hyundai Excel, not that much different then the one I drove in high school, except the doors only opened from the outside and I could see the street through the door as we were driving. The cabbie was telling me about all the protests due to Bush's arrival, while narrowly missing the curbs, the motorcycles, the buses, the pedestrians, the street stalls, and all the other cars.

The city seemed closed. Everything was eerily quiet with all the metal grates covering all the businesses all day. I decided to walk to where I though Bush would be meeting and check it out. Of course, you can't get in a two block radius of the city, security. So I wander a bit more and then I see the throngs of protesters running towards me. I decided to step back into a doorway of a shopping center and let them go by. No need to be in the middle of an anti-American mob! They run by and I decide to steer clear of that area of the city. I chilled at the hotel and then I found myself a couple of beers and decided to lay low.

This morning however, was a very different day. The sun was high in the sky and the weather is beautiful. I checked out the Parque Central, an old palace (where Bush spent his day) and then a cathedral. I bought a plane ticket to Flores/Santa Elena for this afternoon and I will be heading north to the Mayan ruins of Tikal tonight and for the next couple of days. I just need to get back to that airport!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I never knew that you had your own blog. Such a world traveler. Sounds like you got a good introduction to the quiet city of Guatemala. I am at school grading research papers and was happy to have a reason to stop. Great to see everyone at Sue's. How simple life is in friendship. Enjoy your trip. Look forward to the next entry.
c