Friday, March 14, 2014

Mystical Ha Long Bay



I came to Ha Long bay to see the famous (over 2000) islands. It is the kind of place that takes your breath away in pictures and in person would be truly amazing!   The plan was a three hour cruise through the tall, rocky islands, a short stop, some kayaking and the a cruise to our very swanky cool resort for a night. As is the usual for me, the weather wasnt cooperating. 

In return for dealing the cold and rainy overact day, I was treated to something even a little more special. The islands seemed to appear out of the mist and then fade back into it. Really a bit magical and mysterious. Not the way I had hoped to see the bay, but certainly a nice way to see it!



  The kayaking was great and we went through several tunnels and saw a few monkeys in the national park. 


Upon cruising up to our resort, it liked a bit dilapidated. I was shown pictures and it didn't look like it was going to measure up. I was so wrong. The placebos great, a bit fancy, and really kind of cool. Decked out with natural sometimes and teak wood, it's beautiful.  The best part? The wall is all windows so you can lie in bed and watch the sunrise. If the weather cooperates. 

I am sure  a hot shower, a good meal, and a warm bed (there are electric blankets), will get me ready to face the damp wet cold tomorrow as we go mountain biking in a national park on Cat Ba island! 




No comments: