Friday, March 21, 2014

Let's go fly a kite!

I couldn't get that song out of my head all day!  Damn you, Mary Poppins. 

I have spent the last day and a half in Mui Ne. It is an upcoming beach resort place, as several of the others have been overrun with high rise hotels/resorts. In many places, hotels were built quickly and did not pay attention to things like beach erosion, so some of the famous beaches are struging a bit. Not Mui Ne. 

Mui Ne is a big arc of a beach with one half of it beautiful white sands, nice solid surf, lined with both big and small hotels ranging from a beach "bungalow" to the more traditional resort type places. Some are small, some are big, some are nice, others not, there are some real options. The other end of the beach, also had the same options at the same prices, just without the beach. There is a seawall that drops off about 15-20 feet into the sand and water. The "beach" at these places is  just a platform with some sand on it on a cement wall. Not terrible, but really the beach either. 

When I decided to come to this beach, I was searching for something similar to Otres Beach in Cambodia: quiet, remote, and chilled out.  Mui Ne is not that. It is a busy beach town, completed with a strip and some very good restaurants. I upgraded my hotel to stay at a place that had the beach in its back door and it helped me to remember that you often get what you pay for! 

Mui Ne is known for kite boarding. The water is warm and their is a constant wind which makes it a perfect place for kiteboarding. While I have seen people kiteboarding before, nothing compares to the hundreds of people out there today. Hundreds. This is one of those destination spots if kiteboarding is your thing. To be honest, it looks awesome. Really awesome. Had I a few more days, I would be taking lessons.  I imagine it feels a little like you are flying at times. That said with so many "kites" out there, Mary Poppins got into my head. All those things in the pictures that look like birds, kite boarders! Regardless, I enjoyed the hot sun, the warm water, and the cool shade!

Tomorrow is the last of the bus trips (5-6 hours) to Ho Chi Minh City, formerly known as Saigon. I wonder what songs I will be singing there! 

No comments: