Friday, March 23, 2012

Move over Tarzan, I am the King of the Jungle Now

If yesterday was a nearly perfect day, then today was a step above!  I had decided to do a one day jungle tour from Baños. I knew that I wouldn´t really get the jungle experience I would want, of spending a couple of days in the wilds of the the Amazon, but it would get me somewhere close and I had the time, so off I went.

We started off with a trip to a monkey reserve.  I have always like monkeys and today, it was really great.  These are really friendly guys and in fact if they know the people, they climb right up into their arms.  I would have loved to have a "monkey on my back" today, but no luck for me.  But what was amazing was being able to be so close.  Usually these creatures are behind screens, or windows, but today, we were ble to touch and pet them.  Maybe it is Ecuador and the Galapagos (and Charles Darwin on the brain), but clearly we are related somehow to the monkeys.  Evolution was proven clearly to me today.  Their hands, their faces, their emotions, so similar, so alike, so much like us.  Creationists, I am sorry.

From there we had lunch at a "jungle reserve". Basically, this was the start of learning about how the indigenous people used the stuff in the jungle.  Our lunches were steamed in a large green leaf (the native tin foil, we were told).  I stayed with the chicken, although some others ventured for the Tilapia.  From lunch we were moving onto a canoe ride down the Pastaza River.  I figured this would be a nice canoe ride where we paddle ourselves down the river.  Not so much.  Basically, we jumped in a wooden canoe, (the bottom filled with water), and off we went.  The river had some mild rapids, but with six of us in an unstable poorly constructed canoe, it was a blast.  Really a great, altough wet, time on the river.

From the river we climbed to a viewing area on the top of a hill overlooking the valley.  Gorgeous, beathtaking views.  The best part was the swing.  Just a rope hanging down, jump on and swing!  No nets, no safety equipment, no nothing but pure adrenaline and fun as you swing off a cliff several hundred feet in the air. Check out the video on facebook.  Yeah, I went three times.  And I did feel a bit like Tarzan.

Next up a hike along a path to a waterfall.  Our guide, Carlos, had us try tons of different leaves that all had some different medicinal purposes, or just plain tasted good.  While they all looked basically the same, the apparently had different purposes according the the indigenous peoples, we chewed them, ate them, smelled them, basically enjoyed the walk and info for an hour through a jungle path.  Our reward? Cascada Hola Vida.  A great waterfall at the top of the path.  While it was beautiful to see, swimming under it was even better.  After a long hot and humid hike, swimming under a waterfall puts a big smile on your face.  It couldn´t have been better.

Overall, with just a tiny taste of the jungle, I know I missed out by not having enough time there.  I would have loved to spend a few days enjoying the sun, the shade, the plants, the water.  I guess that will have to be another trip.  Today couldn´t have been better.

I am off tomorrow for either a hike or a long mountain bike in Baños before jumping on a bus to a taxi to the airport in Quito tomorrow night!

No comments: