Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Can´t Catch a Break Today

I got some bad advice today.  Having checked about the travel time to Banos from Cuenca, I was told it was about six hours.  And that buses go every hour.  Armed with that knowledge, I got up had a nice shower and then took myself out for breakfast next door to tmy hostel.  It was delicious.  Fresh fruit, yogurt, homemade granola, and coffee! 

From there I headed to the bus station.  Figuring I would catch and 11:00 bus and be in Banos by five!  perfect.  Unfortunately, upon arrival at the Cuenca bus station, I learned that my bus didn´t leave until 12:00 and then it went to Ambato.  I would have to switch buses.  Seems fine... I would arrive in Banos at 6:00. 

Unfortunately, the bus to Ambato is seven hours, followed by at least another hour bus to Banos. That was a surprise (until I read my Lonely Planet a bit more carefully).  With this new knowledge, I recalibrated! Here´s the thing, though.  Most intercity buses in Ecuador may originate at a station, bu they don´t go there to drop you off.  I am patiently sitting on my bus for seven hours (and I had to beg to use the bathroom on the bus), and at 7:05 they call "Ambato" and drop you on the side of the Panamericana, the major highway from Central America through South America.  Yup, dumped on the side of the road. No station, no nothing. 

After taking stock on my situation, I decided to cross the six lane highway (taking my life in my hands with the drivers here).  I found some other people gathering around some food stalls on the side of road and in my very broken Spanish, I asked for some guidance.  I found out that I was actually in the right place and just needed to hail the bus down and jump on and get to Banos!  A few minutes later the bus came, they never really come to a complete stop but I got my bag underneath and then jumped on board. 

The bus of course was full and I ended up standing most of the way.  But I made it.  I am in Banos, and I think that I will be looking to do some hiking tomorrow.  We shall see.  Sadly, while I was sequestered on the bus all day, it was the nicest day I have seen in the highlands.  10 hours or so in transit, and the sun is shining for most of it.  Here´s hoping that tomorrow will be a bit nicer.


No comments: