Friday, August 17, 2007

Looking for Emeralds

Thailand is famous for its jewels, or at least its jewel trade. Rubies, emeralds, sapphires, diamonds. Now, I am not much of a jewelry shopper, but I like to look, not that I know much. My mother, Joanne, has a good friend, Sue, who has a friend, Jor, who works in the jewlery business here in Bangkok. So Sue suggested to my mother that I meet with Jor and buy some jewelry at wholesale cost (before it is shipped to the US for department stores and jewelers). Sounds like a plan. Sue suggested we have an idea of what we wanted to purchase and how much we wanted to spend and then I could meet with Jor and do a little shopping.

I was sent with Jor's name, number, address, and a few thoughts of what my mom may want. Well off I went with Oak and Ekky to find the Jewelry Trade Center and meet Jor. I called ahead and set up an appointment. Well it is a little confusing at first. Jor did tell me that she was on the 32nd floor of the this building but you had to take one elevator, followed by a security check (where ID was taken), followed by a security check point to another elevator. Finally, we made it we are on the 32nd floor and find the office. There are two security doors to get buzzed through, and we are ushered into a small office cramped with about 20-25 people all at desks. Some are on the phone, others are looking at gem stones, others seemed busy, but I am not sure what they were doing. Jor looks up, we are a few minutes early and brings us into the conference room, about a 10 by 15 foot room overlooking Silom Street. We are given water and on the table behind me are just some bracelets and rings. No locked glass case, just out there. Jor comes in and asks a few questions. What do you want how much do you want to spend, but most importantly when are you leaving so that she is able to know whether they can make something, or if they will just have enough time to replace some stones. We want to look at bracelets so JOr digs out a few styles to choose from. Jor also reminds us that we aren't to haggle over prices with her.

Well Oak and I settle in on a couple of different styles of bracelets that we like, although they are currently set with sapphires not emeralds.So we imagine what they might be like and let her know. Jor them goes out and comes back with bags (ziplocks, really) or emeralds and we pick the stones (or some of them) that we like. She says she will email me with quotes and that was the end of the "shopping."
It was a very cool experience to see that side of the jewelry business, although it was a bit difficult because you don't know what all the options are. Maybe it was actually better because you had to know what you liked. You don't want to waste peoples time! Jor was wonderful and so helpful! Thanks, Sue. So hopefully I will bring home something my mother likes!

No comments: